Saturday, December 4, 2010

Ambition=Brownies


I have a problem. My problem stems from this...there are times where I see something or think of something and decide, "I will learn to ______!" Or "I'm totally going to ______!" The blanks can be filled with everything from learning another language (Haitian-Creole, "Bon Swa!") to participating in a triathlon (The latter WILL happen, mark my words, eventually...) Filled with enthusiasm and eagerness, to do/learn ______, I go out and buy all necessary equipment, tools, books, etc, any and everything that will help me accomplish my ambitious goal. But then I start to loose interest in my goal and I don't give it a second thought. I hate this. And I tell myself not to do it. Well, it's happened again.


Now, now, I did not go out and just buy a guitar, don't be jumping to conclusions. This has been sitting at my 'rents house, not being picked up or played.

Yes, my newest goal is to learn to play the guitar. It's definitely not easy, something I'm really going to have to practice, but I can proudly say that I now play a pretty mean D chord. (Pat of the back.)


I'm also developing nice calluses.

I'll let you know how this whole guitar thing works out for me. In the meantime, you should check out these brownies.


I can honestly say that I have never had nor made homemade brownies. My siblings and I kick it "box style." You know, Betty Crocker, Duncan Hines. We are particularly fond of the ones that come with fudge icing. Mmm....fudge. I've actually always been a little intimidated to make brownies from scratch and well, the boxed brownies are so dang good. However, this recipe is super simple and painless. And delicious. Joy knows what she's doing.


These brownies are BOMB.


And homemade. People will love you.

Old School Brownies with Fudge
adapted from Joy the Baker

1 2/3 c. granulated sugar
3/4 c. cocoa powder
3/4 c. butter
2 Tbsp. strong coffee or water
2 large eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
3/4 chopped walnuts
1/4 c. chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a 9x13-inch baking pan, 2 8-inch round cake pans or a 10-inch round cake pan.
Combine butter and cocoa powder in a small bowl and place over a simmering pot of water. Make sure the simmering water does not touch the bottom of the bowl. Add the coffee or water and stir to melt the ingredients.
In a medium sized bowl whisk together the eggs and the sugar. Add the vanilla. When the butter and chocolate have melted and come together, slowly stir the chocolate mixture into the sugar mixture.
Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine. Fold in the nuts, saving a small handful for the top of the brownies if you like.
Pour the batter in the pan, sprinkle with chocolate chips and remaining nuts. Bake for 15-25 minutes, depending on which pan you use. Keep an eye on the oven, checking the brownies every few minutes. (I used 2 8-inch cake pans and the brownies were done around 16 minutes.)
Remove from the oven, cool and cut into bars.



No comments:

Post a Comment