Friday, December 10, 2010

Almost Done...



I'm writing to you from the comfort of my warm bed this morning (or afternoon...) Still in my PJs, finishing up my bowl of cereal and watching reruns of Top Chef: All Stars. An excellent morning, to finish out an excellent week. I AM OFFICIALLY DONE WITH CLASSES! Hallelujah! Just two finals and a paper stand in my way of sweet, sweet Winter Break freedom. I cannot flippin' wait to go home.

There will be lots of ball playing...


Hanging out with friends...


Playing the Wii and getting super pissed, cause it happens, especially Mario Kart...
(please do not let my game face frighten you and excuse the boxer PJs)

Eating too many crescent rolls...


Sledding and ice-skating (hopefully!)...


And tea parties with the niece.


And of course lots of baking! I've got a list going and can't wait to get started on it. I will most definitely be making these apple bars again when I go home.


Don't they look delicious?! I LOVE the crust and crumble topping on these babies. Sooo buttery, sooo good.

Apple Streusel Bars
adapted from Lovin from the Oven

Crust/Crumble Topping-
2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. real unsalted butter, softened
1 egg, beaten

Apple Filling-
1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 sliced, peeled baking apples (I used Granny Smith)

Glaze (optional)-
2 c. powdered sugar
3 Tbsp. milk
1 tsp. almond or vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix flour, sugar, salt and baking powder in bowl. Cut in butter with pastry blender or two knives until you have pea-sized crumbles. Gently mix in beaten egg.
Grease 9X13 or 9X9 pan. Gently pat about 2/3 of crumb mixture onto the bottom of the dish.

To prepare filling, combine flour, sugars, and cinnamon.


Toss with apples and spread apples onto prepared crust. Sprinkle reserved crumb mixture over apples evenly and bake for about 40 minutes or until crumb topping is lightly browned. Cool completely.

To prepare glaze, whisk together powdered sugar, extract and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Place glaze in Ziploc bag and cut off very small portion of one corner. Drizzle glaze over cooled pastry and allow to harden. Cut into bars and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment