Monday, November 15, 2010

Nutella Virgin

How is it that I have gone 22 years without ever experiencing the pure deliciousness of Nutella??? This chocolaty gift from the heavens is just...whoa. Just, mmm....

I've enjoyed my Nutella on a pretzel stick, toast, spoon, my finger. You get the idea. I think, nay, I know I could eat an entire jar in one setting (though I advise no one do, let alone attempt).

I spent an afternoon surfing the net, trying to find Nutella recipes and I stumbled on this. That's right, World Nutella Day. Keep February 5th clear, so you can devour and enjoy all things Nutella. We're talking breakfast, lunch and dinner.

The cookie recipe I found is a clear winner. They're like Nutella turnovers. So cute. So good.


And you can make them even more delicious.

Of course I would add peanut butter, because it makes up more than half of my weekly diet, but oh man, with pb their delicious factor is kicked up 10 notches.

Nutella Pocket Cookies
adapted from The Art of Two Tarts
makes about 4 dozen

1 cup unsalted butter, softened plus 2 more tablespoons, melted.

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1 cup granulated sugar plus 1\4 cup for sprinkling

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

1 1/2 cups Nutella

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the 1 cup of butter, cream cheese, and 1 cup sugar until smooth, light, and fluffy. Add the vanilla extract and mix until well combined. Gradually add the flour to the creamed mixture and mix well. Divide the dough into two portions; cover and refrigerate until the dough is firm and easy to handle. An hour should be good enough.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove one portion of dough from the refrigerator. On a floured surface, roll out one portion of dough until it is about 1/4-inch thick. Using a circle cookie cutter that is approximately 3 inches in diameter, cut circles out of the dough and place them on an ungreased cookie sheet. Repeat this with the rest of the dough.

Place approximately 1 1/2 teaspoons of Nutella on the center of each circle. Fold each circle in half so that the edges meet and lightly press the edges to seal. With a fork, seal the edges more securely. Lightly brush melted butter on the tops and sprinkle with sugar. Bake the cookies for 10 – 12 minutes or until the edges are lightly browned. Leave the cookies on the cookie sheet for 2 – 3 minutes before removing them to wire racks to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment