Tuesday, April 5, 2011

April's Fool


It's April, folks. This excites and terrifies me at the same time. I get all excited thinking about summer, but then this feeling of dread creeps up when I start to think about all the stuff I need to get done in this month. And I start to hyperventilate, freak out and reach for the brown, paper bag. "And breath, 1,2,3..."

I can honestly say that April will own me, if not kill me. Ugh. Please, please, please, keep me (& my sanity) in your thoughts and prayers, as I tackle this monster of a month. Things will most likely be quiet around here for the next couple of weeks, but I'll try to post as much as I possibly can!

Here's a treat I made for a friend this past weekend. Let's talk Girl Scout cookies. My favorite is the peanut butter patty or "Tag-a-long" which I will forever call it. But the favorite of almost every person I know is the Thin Mint.


Mint and chocolate really ain't my thing. I really don't dig Peppermint Patties, those mints from the Olive Garden and I just don't get the hoopla over mint chocolate chip ice cream. Call me crazy, but whatev. However, when I saw a recipe for Thin Mint truffles, I knew I must experiment. Exactly like the Oreo truffles, but the Oreos are replaced with Thin Mints. And I knew I would have no trouble getting my friend to let me "borrow" a box of her coveted Thin Mints.




I totally used way too much cream cheese. Thankfully some elves came to my rescue.




Thin Mint Truffles
adapted by Confessions of a Cookbook Queen

1 pkg. Thin Mints (if you slacked off this year and did not support your local girl scouts, the Keebler Grasshopper cookies will do just fine, but shame on you! ;) )
1/2 block of cream cheese, softened (about 4 oz.)
White chocolate, milk chocolate or dark chocolate almond bark

Crush Thin Mints till very fine. You can do this by using a ziploc bag and rolling pin or food processor. (Or do what I did and put the cookies between two sheets of wax paper and just start rolling!) Once crushed, pour into large bowl and add cream cheese. Using your hands, incorporate the cream cheese into the cookie crumbs until the cream cheese is no longer visible.
Roll into balls, place on wax covered cookie sheets and chill for at least 30 minutes.
Melt chocolate as directed on package and then dip balls into chocolate, tap off extra and set aside on wax paper covered cookie sheet to dry. (You can decorate them with sprinkles before this step or extra chocolate after they have dried.)

No comments:

Post a Comment