Monday, March 28, 2011

Beads, Bourbon, Beignets, Oh My!

My best friends and I boarded a plane a week ago. Can you guess where we went? Here's a hint...
Nawlins', NOLA, New Orleans, whatever you call it, we headed south to the Big Easy.

Since this is a blog about food, I decided to document our meals.

First stop was Juan's Flying Burrito, suggested by our hostel's owner.
Such as cool restaurant! There are two located in New Orleans and we ate at the one located on Magazine street in the Garden district.



Fly dranks, anyone?

Salsa selection

KP got beef tacos...
And Carissa and I got burritos. I can't remember what exactly Carissa got, but it looked good.
I got the Veggie Punk loaded with potatoes, rice, beans, lettuce, tomatoes, cheese, guac, and sour cream. Mmm...these burritos definitely give these guys a run for their money.
The next day we headed over to the French quarter and Jackson Square, where we ate at the famous Cafe Du Monde.
Known for it's excellent cafe au lait (coffee) and beignets (French doughnuts) Cafe Du Monde is a hot tourist spot and always busy.
Bring on the beignets!

Delicious!

Later that night, we headed to Bourbon street and ate dessert at the Old Coffeepot Restaurant.

Carissa got the cheesecake, I got the bread pudding (yum) and KP got a caesar salad. (That's why I love her.)

Juan's was just so delicious, we headed back a second time the next day for a late lunch/early dinner. KP got the beef tacos (again), Carissa got the nachos...

and I got the Juaha roll.

Chicken, lettuce, tomatoes, avocado, jack cheese, and cream cheese wrapped in a spinach wrap. I do believe I will be making these myself, soon, very soon.

Our last full day was devoted to eating some true Cajun food. We headed back to Jackson square and stopped at the Market Cafe.

Outside seating and live jazz music can't be beat!

KP got the ham and cheese Po'Boy.

Carissa got the fried shrimp Po'Boy.

And I got the gumbo and fried alligator.

First bite of alligator...
Verdict: It's semi-true about it tasting like chicken, a little more chewier, but definitely a different taste towards the end, but awesome! I loved it!

We had a great time in New Orleans and didn't want to leave the 80 degree weather and Bourbon street, but this responsibility called, "school" was calling us back. We've decided this trip should be an annual thing with the three of us, so who knows where we'll go next year! Hooray for fun times with good friends!










No comments:

Post a Comment