Wednesday, February 2, 2011

And it Snowed and Snowed and Snowed

Snowpocolypse, Snownami, Blizzard of Oz, Snowmaggedon, the Great Blizzard of 2011. Whatever people are calling it, the Midwest got a nice, hefty blanket of the white stuff all day yesterday. So much in fact, that my school canceled classes for the first time in years. Hooray! So here's what I did during the "blizzard" yesterday...

I totally slept in (thank you, snow day), woke up and checked out the conditions.

Lots of snow!

I became obsessed with the robins outside my room. I'm sparing you from the many pictures I took of them.



Checking on Mr. Frog.

Then my friend called, tempting me to brave the blizzard and go eat lunch. I debated going, but I needed some social activity, so on went the ball cap and off I went.

After some delicious pad thai and lovely company, I decided cookies needed to be made.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

and Cranberry White Chocolate Oatmeal Cookies.



While the cookies were in the oven I checked on Mr. Frog.

The last picture of birds, I promise.

A warm oatmeal raisin cookie is hard to beat.

I ended the day eating too many of those cookies and playing "Dance Central" with the roommates.

I learned that my roommates have some serious moves.

Freestyle. :)


Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1/2 c. butter, softened
2/3 c. light brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3/4 c. flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. rolled oats
3/4 c. raisins
*Note

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together butter, sugar, egg and vanilla until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together. Stir this into the butter/sugar mixture. Stir in the oats and raisins.
Chill the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for a thicker cookie or bake right away for 10 to 12 minutes. Cookies are done when golden at the edges but a little undercooked-looking on the top. Let cookies sit on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

*Before adding the raisins, I added the oats to the dough and then split the dough, adding dried cranberries and white chocolate chips in one and raisins in the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment