Monday, October 4, 2010

I'm Coming Home

The weather is a-cha-cha-changing. And I LOVE it. Fall is without a doubt my favorite time of the year. The temps are starting to drop, mornings are much crisper, the trees are starting to change into the beautiful reds, oranges, and yellows.
And there is so much to look forward to in the fall. Pumpkins, Halloween, Fall Break (a much needed two-day vaca here at KU) and my hometown's homecoming.
"Homecoming?"
"Yes, homecoming."
"You mean like a football game, high school dance and a couple getting crowned king and queen?"
"Well, kind of..."
I'm sure those are the first things that pop into your head when you think of "homecoming." And it's right, well probably for every other town, than mine.
You see my hometown's homecoming isn't just a high school thing, it's a whole community thing. I'm talking, week-long, town shuts down, people from all over the country come to this small southeast Kansas town celebration. There are talent contests, a chili cook-off, hospital bed races (yeah, I don't know), class reunions, a carnival, a parade, food vendors, arts and crafts fairs, a car show, and much, much more. And we do have a football game. And we do have a homecoming queen, but electing her is quite unconventional. Rather than having the student body vote, we have the "FBW Homecoming Queen Pageant." Yes, a pageant, with contestants, talents, interviews, and a panel of judges. Let me humor you for a sec...
2006 FBW Homecoming Queen Pageant, with my buds and fellow contestants, KP and Kaylie.

And the best part of participating in the pageant? Ridin' on a dang float! Yes, I waved the whole time.

At this point, I've probably lost a few of you. You're not understanding this whole "community homecoming" thing. I try explaining homecoming to friends in college and they just don't get it. I've decided it's one of those things that one must experience to understand. And this year some friends did get to experience the greatness of a Fredonia Homecoming.
Meet Bridget and Caitlin. Newbies to the great town of Fredonia. We took them on a driving tour.
They saw the water tower...
Took pictures off the "mound"...

Checked out the giant, metal yellowjacket outside the high school...
Which I believe they enjoyed, oh so much.
They also sampled local fair. A Fredonia staple-Tri-Mee, for the best beefburgers and cheapest drinks.

They had a great time and my friends and I had a great time showing them around. I got to do a lot of great things this weekend at homecoming. I played some bingo, two-stepped at a local bar, tried a deep-fried Oreo (whoa!), saw old classmates, had some good laughs and a couple of beers, and spent time with family and friends.
A great homecoming was had by all and I can't wait for next year's.

Now on to the recipe...
This recipe just reminds me of fall! It's got pumpkin, so of course that's what I automatically think of. These cookies are super soft and darn delicious. The recipe can be altered with different dried fruits, different chocolates and adding nuts. Go crazy! Try whatever!

Pumpkin Oatmeal Cookies
adapted from My Baking Addiction
makes about 4 dozen

Ingredients
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
½ teaspoon kosher salt
1 cup (2 sticks) butter; softened
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup pure pumpkin puree
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup white chocolate chips
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line your baking sheet with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Combine flour, oats, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, brown sugar and granulated sugar in large mixer bowl until light and fluffy.
Add pumpkin, egg and vanilla extract; mix well. Add flour mixture; combine until all ingredients are incorporated. Fold in white chocolate chips and dried cranberries.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto prepared baking sheets.
Bake for 12-14 minutes or until cookies are lightly browned. Cool on baking sheets for 2 minutes; remove to wire racks to cool completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment