Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Another Year Older, Another Year Wiser


Another year has come and gone and if I live to be in my 80s, a quarter of my life has passed. (Too morbid?) With 22 years under my belt, I feel like this is an opportune time to sit back and reflect on everything I have done, experienced, seen, people I have met and everything I have come to learn. Below is a list of 22 things I have learned and am still learning from.


22 Things I’ve Learned (about myself and life in general) the Last 22 Years….

-Facebook can be highly entertaining.

-Facebook can suck so much time out of your life and seriously hurt your GPA. (DAMN YOU!)

-As you get older you stop viewing your siblings as “siblings” but view them as friends and it’s totally awesome.

-Parents really do give great advice. LISTEN to them.

-Boys are dumb.

-Boys are sometimes really, really cute and sometimes smell really good, therefore making you forget how dumb they are. Oy vey.

-I can cry at the drop of a hat. (Whether that is watching my niece fall asleep or walking out of the theater after watching Marley and Me, looking at my sister and collapsing into each other sobbing hysterically.)

-I now appreciate my hometown and where I come from more than I ever have.

-Don’t judge. Ever. Don’t judge anyone, anything. Nine times out of ten you’re wrong.

-I can plan out every intricate detail of my life, but I’m never going to be in complete control of it.

-I change my mind about things. A lot.

-I have regrets, but I’ve learned so much about myself because of these regrets.

-I have been and will be disappointed by people.

-I have and will disappoint people.

-There are times where I feel like I can do anything. I am invincible.

-No one’s invincible.

-As much as I want to, I can't and won't please every, single person.

-Change isn't easy.

-Change can be unbelievably refreshing.

-High school was great, college is 20 times better.

-I do have a plan and purpose for my life.

-My life? Yeah, it's not about me.




Allison’s 22nd Birthday Cake (Thanks Mom!)

Luscious Four-layer Pumpkin Cake

adapted from Kraft


1 pkg. (2-layer size) yellow cake mix

1 can (15 oz.) pumpkin, divided

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup oil

4 eggs

1-1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice, divided

1 pkg. (8 oz.) PHILADELPHIA Cream Cheese, softened

1 cup powdered sugar

1 tub (8 oz.) COOL WHIP Whipped Topping, thawed

1/4 cup caramel ice cream topping

1/4 cup chopped PLANTERS Pecans


Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Beat cake mix, 1 cup pumpkin, milk, oil, eggs and 1 tsp. spice in large bowl with mixer until well blended. Pour into 2 greased and floured 9-inch round pans.

Bake 28 to 30 min. or until toothpick inserted in centers comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 min. Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.

Beat cream cheese in medium bowl with mixer until creamy. Add sugar, remaining pumpkin and spice; mix well. Gently fold in COOL WHIP. Cut each cake layer horizontally in half with serrated knife; stack on serving plate, spreading cream cheese filling between layers. (Do not frost top layer.) Drizzle with caramel topping just before serving; top with nuts. Refrigerate leftovers.


No comments:

Post a Comment