Friday, August 13, 2010

Well, I Never Been to Spain

My best friend, KP, got back from an internship in Barcelona, Spain a few weeks ago. It was her first trip out of the country and she went all by herself. She stayed with a very "unique" family, worked at an awesome job with awesome people, improved her Spanish-speaking skills (Senora Hedges would be proud) and ate Spanish cuisine (though whenever we talked she always said she missed "her" food). Two months flew by and it was time for her to come back to the states!
My other best friend, Carissa, went with me to pick her up at the airport.
It was a surprise, kinda. We made her signs.
And apparently the translation of one was off, way off.
But she loved it anyway.
This trip was such an eye-opener for her. When she got back I could tell she wasn't the same girl that left two months ago. She had this glow about her and a new outlook on life. I keep telling her that this trip was such a good thing for her. She experienced so much and learned a lot about herself, a la Eat, Pray, Love, perhaps? :)
Like I said she missed "her" food, so I decided to make her one of her favorite things in the whole wide world, Fruit Pizza. She has stated multiple times, she wants this for her wedding cake, er, wedding pizza? I'm still not sure how that will work, but we'll figure it out, KP. ;)
I can honestly say that I don't know how or where I picked up this recipe. I've been making this dessert for years, so long in fact that I used this recipe for my demonstration speech in my high school speech class. The great thing about this pizza is that you can change things up and it will be delicious no matter what. You can try a chocolate chip cookie crust with a peanut butter cream cheese filling or a snickerdoodle crust with cinnamon cream cheese filling. The possibilities are endless. But if I know KP she would say poo-poo and stick with the good ol' sugar cookie recipe.

Fruit Pizza

1 roll sugar cookie dough

2 8oz pkgs cream cheese, softened

3/4 c powdered sugar

1 tsp vanilla

assorted cut-up fruits (I always use blueberries, strawberries, kiwi, pineapple)

Press cookie dough on pizza plate, covering the whole plate. Prick the crust with a fork multiple times. Bake crust at 350 degrees, 8-10 minutes. Allow crust to completely cool. Beat cream
cheese and powdered sugar, until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Add more sugar if you'd like. Spread filling over cooled crust. Decorate pizza with assorted fruits. This is best served cold, but if your friends and family are like mine, it won't even make it there. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment