Monday, August 16, 2010

Settling (Battling) in a New Kitchen

So I moved into a new house and I finally feel settled. It only took a few weeks, multiple trips to Wal-Mart, serious cleaning and days where my only means of food were bottles of V8. But, alas, I have a clean, comfy, homey room. With this move I have also inherited a new kitchen. It's taking time for me to get oriented in this kitchen. Isn't it always weird trying to cook or bake in a new kitchen? You feel so out of your element.
"Where's the whisk? Egg-beaters? Measuring cups?!"
It's downright frustrating at times. That's how I felt all day yesterday. I decided to break in the kitchen with baking some Snickerdoodles. A basic cookie recipe, right? Of course, but when I couldn't find the egg-beaters for nearly half an hour, I was ready to give up. Oh, but it doesn't stop there. Then came the oven. The kitchen got an new oven last week (it desperately needed a new one) and I was sooo stoked when I found out. Well, this oven and I already have issues. Every time, every, stinkin' time I went to reset the timer for a new batch of cookies I had to reset the heating on the oven. Really?! I know, I know, I should just look at the user's manual, but it's a freakin' oven! How hard should that be?!
I finished baking the cookies and picked one up in frustration. I bit into the warm cookie and a sweet peace came over me.

My battle with the new kitchen made me forget why I love to bake. The end result, the delicious outcome. Something I can give to people and watch them enjoy.
This kitchen and I are going to have some time getting use to each other, but it'll work out. Maybe give couples' counseling a try?


Snickerdoodles
adapted from allrecipes.com
makes about 3 dozen

1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cream of tartar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons white sugar
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, the eggs and the vanilla. Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt. Shape dough by rounded spoonfuls into balls.Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar and the cinnamon. Roll balls of dough in mixture. Place 2 inches apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8 to 10 minutes, or until set but not too hard. Remove immediately from baking sheets.


No comments:

Post a Comment