Thursday, July 15, 2010

Nieces, Elmo and Muffins, Dang Good Muffins

This curly, red-headed child is my niece.

Isn't she adorable? And ornery? This Elmo-lovin', Yo Gabba Gabba watchin', puppy wranglin', little girl turned three. I can't believe three years ago we welcomed this precious gift into the world and I filled the role of "aunt." I have had a blast, absolute blast watching her grow up. From scooting her butt across the floor, to walking and now, running (incredibly fast, might I say), she has been a delight. She has also been fun to shop for. Anytime I go into a childrens' clothing or toy store, I immediately see five things I want to buy for her. I had trouble this year, though, deciding what to get her for turning three. Imagine my delight when I stumbled upon this in the local candy shop...

My niece LOVES Elmo and LOVES candy, so it was a no-brainer. I bought the lunchbox and filled that puppy with all sorts of goodies. Skittles, Jelly Belly's, Starbursts, M&Ms, Tootsie Pops, and candy necklaces/lipstick (throwbacks, heck yes!)

I can't wait to see her face when she opens it. What kid wouldn't go nuts for a ton of candy? Her daddy, my bro, may not appreciate it as much as her, so I will present him with these delicious Browned Butter Blueberry Muffins as a peace offering. And maybe a candy necklace.

There's not much to be said about these muffins, other than that they are yummy.

Bursting with butter and blueberries they are close to perfection.

What? A little extra butter never hurt anyone. :)

Browned Butter Fresh Blueberry Muffins

adapted from The Gourmet Cookbook

makes 12 muffins

7 Tablespoons unsalted butter

1/3 cup whole milk

1 large egg

1 large egg yolk

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour

3/4 cup sugar

1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder

3/4 teaspoon salt

2 cups fresh blueberries

For the Topping:

3 Tablespoons cold, unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes

1/2 cup all-purpose flour

3 1/2 tablespoons sugar

Put a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners

Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Keep an eye on the butter. Melt and cook down the butter until little brown bits appear in the pan. The crackling will subside and butter will begin to brown fairly quickly after that. Remove from heat.

Whisk milk, egg, yolk and vanilla until combined. Add the brown butter and stir to combine.

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl Add milk and butter mixture all at one and stir gently to combine. Gently but thoroughly fold in the blueberries.

Divide the batter among muffin cups and spread evenly.

To make the topping combine all of the ingredients in a bowl and crumble together with your fingertips. Sprinkle crumble mixture evenly over the batter in the cups.

Bake until golden and crisp and a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean, about 18-20 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack for 15 minutes then remove from the pan. Serve warm or at room temperature.


No comments:

Post a Comment