Monday, May 9, 2011

For My Not-So-Little Sister



My little sister turned 18 a little over three weeks ago. Crazy.
And now she has officially graduated from high school. Surreal.

I constantly find myself thinking how fast time has passed the last 18 years.
It literally feels like it was yesterday my dad called my brother and I from the hospital to tell us we had a new baby sister. My poor brother, who was hoping and praying for a little brother (apparently, I wasn't all that entertaining as a baby girl) thought my dad was joking..."Really, dad, what's my new baby brother's name?" I, on the other hand, would have been happy with a boy, girl, cat, dog, whatever, I was just ecstatic to have a new sibling.







Once a rough 'n tough tomboy (eh, she's still pretty tough), my sis has blossomed into a beautiful, young lady accomplishing so much in a matter of 18 years.
Happy Birthday and Graduation, Hannah Banana! Love you and proud of you so much. Thanks for being the little sister I look up to. :)

The whole "-4" thing dates back awhile ago. We were celebrating her birthday in Lawrence at my place and I was cheap smart and reused my birthday candles.

Moist Lemon Cake
adapted from Family Circle

1 lemon
3 c. flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 c. milk
6 oz. lemon yogurt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 c. unsalted butter, softened
1 3/4 c. sugar
3 large eggs

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat two 9-inch round cake pans with nonstick cooking spray. Line pans with waxed paper. Spray paper with cooking spray.
Zest lemon peel (about 2 tbsp). Juice lemon and set aside for frosting.
In medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. In a measuring cup, whisk together milk, yogurt and vanilla. In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar together on medium speed until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at at time, beating well after each.
On low speed, beat flour mixture into butter mixture in three additions, alternating with milk mixture. Beat well after each addition. Fold in zest. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans.
Bake layers at 350 for 35 minutes or until cake springs back when pressed lightly. Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes. Carefully invert cake layers directly onto racks, remove and discard waxed paper and let layers cool completely.


Frosting

3/4 c. unsalted butter, softened
16 oz. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. lemon juice
yellow food coloring (optional)
(Note-this recipe for frosting did not yield near enough. I will double the amount the next time I make it.)

Once layers are cool, beat butter, 1 cup of the confectioners' sugar, the reserved lemon juice (about 2 tablespoons) and 2 tablespoons in a large bowl until smooth. Gradually beat in remaining confectioners' sugar until good spreading consistency. Tint with a few drops of food coloring, if desired. To frost cake, place one layer on a plate or stand. Spread top of layer with 1 cup frosting. Stack second cake layer on first and begin frosting side of cake. Continue around side of cake, then finish top, swirling decoratively. Serve immediately or refrigerate before slicing and serving.





No comments:

Post a Comment